If you are thinking of purchasing Shropshire Sheep for the first time then we are all here to help you, if you need it. Please read the Purchasers Guide for more information or for a more in depth guide then read the Getting started with Shropshire Sheep booklet.
Please remember that only Pedigree Registered Shropshire Sheep can breed Pedigree Shropshire Sheep; we no longer have a Grading up Register and we do not have departments or representatives in other countries in Europe, although there are a few breeders with UK bred Shropshire Sheep.
For further knowledge of our breed, please consult our Critical Selection Booklet.
- To register lambs the ewe and tup must both be fully registered sheep
- official ear tags must be used in the format of unique consecutive number of each lamb born followed by the breeder’s flock designation letters and the year in which it was born on one side and official Defra Flock Number on the other. For example : 001 AA 18 UK 0301102
- All lambs should be birth notified within 90 days of birth
- Birth notified lambs can be registered at any time but must be registered before selling.
- Animals to be sold as pedigree must be fully registered unless under 4 months of age.
- Please notify the Registrations Clerk, Ruth Mawer, (tel – 01400 230142) of any births, deaths, transfers or sales of any Shropshires full pedigree or otherwise. This can all be done on line.
Please consult our Shepherd’s Diary for ideas on management throughout the year.